Grey Cup History
The Grey Cup has as storied a history as any trophy in all of North America. Originally donated in 1909 by Earl Grey, then Governor-General of Canada, the Grey Cup was to be awarded annually to the Canadian senior amateur rugby football championship team. Rugby football was also known as Canadian football, and in the early years the majority of the Grey Cup champions were university teams.
In the 1920's and 30's a variety of amateur and semi-professional teams won the Grey Cup. Teams such as the Hamilton Alerts, the Ottawa Senators and the Balmy Beach Football Club laid clain to Earl Grey's trophy. The amateur nature of football changed even more after World War II. Since 1958 the Grey Cup has been awarded exclusively to the Canadian Football League Championship, recognizing professional football supremacy in Canada.
Founded in 1950 with the merger of the Hamilton Tigers and the Hamilton Flying Wildcats, the Tiger-Cats play their home games at Ivor Wynne Stadium. Since the 1950 merger, the team has won the Grey Cup championship eight times, most recently in 1999. Including their historical lineage, Hamilton football clubs won league championships in every decade of the 20th century, a feat matched by only one other North American franchise in professional sports, the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings of the International League.
• Hamilton Ticats Replica Grey Cup
• 7 inches high
• Licensed by the CFL
Hamilton Ticats Grey Cup Trophy
- Product Code: CUP0027
- Availability: 7